Ligonier Valley School District will be seeking a new business manager in the coming months after the district’s school board on Monday accepted the resignation of business manager Michelle Krebs for retirement purposes, effective June 30.
Krebs has been employed with LVSD since 2014 and spent more than nine years as business manager at Altoona Area School District prior to coming to Ligonier Valley.
“I truly appreciate all the hard work that you’ve done for our district,” board member Kimberly Dickert-Wallace told Krebs. “Though I’m very sad to see you go, I’m happy that when I’m coming into Giant Eagle at 6 p.m., your car will not be there,” — a reference to Krebs’ dedication to her work.
Krebs said she looks forward to spending more time with her family and grandchildren following her retirement.
The school board did not take action at Monday’s meeting to advertise seeking candidates for Krebs’ position.
The board also approved seeking bids for a new Video Management Software (VMS) solution for the district’s video surveillance.
Superintendent Dr. Christine Oldham said following the meeting the district is looking to expand its current video surveillance system throughout the district by adding cameras in any areas where “blind spots” are a concern and reconfiguring network and server infrastructure. The district plans to fund the upgrades using a Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency 2020 Meritorious Grant.
In other business, the school board approved:
- Adding modifications to the Ligonier Valley Middle School entrance canopy to the Act 39 project at a cost not to exceed $132,945;
- A Pennsylvania Master Naturalist Service Project as a partnering organization to facilitate the design and potential construction of a rain garden at LVMS;
- Pay application No. 21 to Constellation NewEnergy, Inc. for $116,452.21;
- Awarding bids for diesel fuel for the 2020-21 school year to Ports Petroleum, the lowest responsible bidder meeting specifications at a fixed rate of $2.038 per gallon;
- Increasing the maximum scheduled amount in the long-term disability insurance policy to $9,800 per month, except as stated in the Proof of Loss provision, to accommodate increases in salaries beginning July 1, 2020;
- An agreement with New Story to provide educational services at a cost of $308 per day, beginning Nov. 11 through June 3, 2020;
- An agreement with PLearnMC to provide professional development on Nov. 8-9, 2020, at a cost of $4,000 plus lodging cost;
- A resolution pertaining to the sale of acreage at Eastern Westmoreland Career and Technology Center (EWCTC); Derry Township is purchasing 2.25 acres of land in the far northeast quarter of the EWCTC property for $11,500 to construct a stormwater retention pond;
- Accepting the resignation of Dr. Timothy Holloway as the district’s school dentist and the transfer of service to Dr. Steven M. Patt at the current rate of $7 per dental exam and $25 hourly rate for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year;
- Accepting a PDE Mobile Science Grant in the amount of $50,000 to be used toward creation of an outdoor classroom in the LVHS courtyard, purchase of wireless microscopes, TI-Rovers/Hubs and Virtual/Augmented Reality Headsets;
- For John Gregorich to submit a “Grosh Cares” grant in the amount of $2,500 for musical expenses;
- For Dana Dorian to submit a “Pickleball Encourages Lifetime Fitness” grant to the Ligonier Valley School District Foundation Inc. in the amount of $1,500. Board members Irma Hutchinson and Mary Gamble, who are on the foundation’s board, abstained from the vote;
- The Ligonier Valley School District ESL English as a Second Language Handbook;
- A memorandum of agreement with Southwest Behavioral Care Inc. (SPHS Behavioral Health) to provide district learners with on-site substance abuse services for the 2019-20 school year at no cost to the district;
- A letter of agreement with SPHS Behavioral Health regarding available services beginning Jan. 1, 2020, through Dec. 31, 2021;
- For LVHS National Honor Society to experience a field trip to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Great Lakes Science Center in Cleveland, Ohio on May 1 at no cost to the district;
- For Adam Storey, Tammie Saxton and Josh Suszek to attend the PA Educational Technology Expo & Conference in Pittsburgh on Feb. 23-26 at an approximate cost to the district of $1,800;
- Hiring the following substitutes for the 2019-20 school year: Laura Bruno, elementary; Jennifer Kober, cook, retroactive to Nov. 18; Laurel Ross, Lauren Friscarella and Donna Knepper, secretary;
- The resignation of Bradley Snyder, payroll/bookkeeper, effective Jan. 14;
- Retroactively to hire Elaine Ferry as interim payroll/bookkeeper at an hourly rate of $29.40;
- Hiring Danielle Bates as payroll/bookkeeper beginning Jan. 14 at an hourly rate of $23.30;
- Hiring Kober as a three-hour cook at Laurel Valley Elementary beginning Jan. 14 at an hourly rate of $10.25;
- Hiring Michael Deist as maintenance/part-time supervisor with a beginning date to be determined;
- Salary and benefits for the maintenance/part-time supervisor position for the period Jan. 14, 2020, through June 30, 2023;
- Hiring Karen Harding as library aide at Ligonier Valley Middle School and Ligonier Valley High School beginning Jan. 14 at an hourly rate of $10.50;
- Retroactive approval to increase the pay per game for scorekeeper/statistician/press reporter and scoreboard operator from $30 to $35 beginning July 1, 2019;
- Retroactive approval for Lyla Barr, a home-schooled learner, to participate in the LVMS girls’ basketball program for the 2019-20 school year at a participation rate of $50;
- Gary Stouffer as a track and field program volunteer for the 2019-20 school year;
- Retroactively hiring Tyler Foust as assistant junior high wrestling coach for the 2019-20 school year at a supplemental salary of $2,873;
- Five “Learner Discipline Matters” and accompanying expulsions of one full calendar year in each disciplinary matter. The board and administration do not comment publicly on disciplinary actions;
- Final approval of policies regarding Title I Comparability of Services, withdrawal from school and health examinations/screenings;
- Tentative and final approval to a policy regarding homeless learners;
- The Ligonier Valley School District Homeless Handbook.